Baby Peaches and Pears!

Today I made up a huge batch of peaches and pears for R.  I cooked both by blanching them in boiling water for 5 minutes and then running cold water over them to cool them down enough to peal the skins off.  


The skins came off so beautifully!  I haven't had much success in the past with pealing skins off of stuff... like when I first roasted butternut squash and went to scoop out the "meat".... well it was a disaster.  I think I had let them cool TOO much... so make sure you go ahead and get the skins off while the fruit is warm!  


The pear skins came off well too.  I pealed them over a bowl to catch a lot of the juices that were running off while I was pealing them.  Don't want to lose the good stuff!


Also, the pits came out so much more easily than pitting a raw peach.  Last time I did peaches I cut them into chunks and did a little simmer... this way is a lot more streamlined!


I felt that I was able to get a lot closer to the core of the pears than when they aren't cooked.  You can see how little pear was left in the middle!


R is doing wonderfully with textures so this time I just mashed them up with a potato masher instead of pureeing with the blender.


7 pears for $3.47 = 34 oz mashed up! 


9 peaches for $2.87 = 49 oz mashed up!

No comments :

Post a Comment