I have been so excited this whole pregnancy to make a mobile! For some reason it has been the project that I just can't wait to get to working on. After we found out we were having a boy, we decided on a forest animal nursery theme. We actually painted this room a few months after we moved in to the house. It was originally a pale yellow (which I am not a fan of!) and we knew we wanted to paint it as soon as possible. We decided... oh I guess it was about 2 years ago that we would paint it blue. We knew that this would be a nursery eventually so we just said... well, let's hope it's a boy otherwise our girl is going to just have to deal! haha! Amazing how things work out sometimes ;)
I found this mobile at the Once Upon A Time consignment store here in town. It was 10 bucks!
I got to work planning out what the characters would be and the colors I wanted. I kept scouring the internet for patterns for little felt animals and had the most difficult time finding what I wanted that had a FREE pattern. I really don't like paying for patterns... I don't know why. Anyway, I eventually wised up and just traced some of the Google images I found off of my iPad and BOOM. there we have it!
Here are the future mobile characters. I decided to go with two forest animals and then two more "icky" animals... a snail and frog should suite a boy's room just fine! :)
Mid-project craft disaster area! TIP: When working with felt, make sure you have a nice sharp pair of scissors! I discovered during this project that we are lacking in the well functioning scissor department! I used embroidery thread to sew around the little critters and Polyfill to poof them up a little!
It was a relief to have these guys completed! So many little stitches... but I love how they turned out!
PLEASE ignore my super intense bug-eyed gotta-place-this-leaf-just-right look! I wanted you to see how I attached the animals and this picture showed it best! Ahh.. the sacrifice! I used a thin ribbon and upholstery needle to secure the animals through the back giving them a slight angle down so that they can keep an eye on our little guy! For the canopy part I just drafted up a rough pattern based on the dimensions of the top part.
And the finished project! I love the splash of bright orange. To cover the arm of the mobile I just made a tube with a slight curve in it so that it would lay nicely.
No comments :
Post a Comment